How to create your own categories in PocketPasswords 2.0
Created on 2004-05-19 by Andre Lorbach.
In this FAQ article, I will show you how to create your own categories.
As PocketPasswords 2.0 uses the common XML format to save it's data and the
category defintions, this is rather simple. First of all before you start with
this article, read the XML Format
Once you have done this, follow these steps in order to create your own
- Disable encryption in PocketPasswords if enabled. Then use ActiveSync to
connect to your PocketPC device and open a explorer which points to \program
files\PocketPasswords on your PocketPC.
- Copy one of the XML files to your local PC (You will use one of them as a
template for your new category). When copied, open the xml file in Internet
Explorer (Which will display the xml file readable).
- Select all text in the Internet Explorer and copy it into your clipboard.
Then open your favorite Texteditor (I recommend EditPlus)
and paste the content of your clipboard into a new file. Use
Search&replace to remove all "- " with nothing (because
otherwise you won't get a valid XML file). Then save this file as XML and
make sure that it is saved with Unicode encoding. You will see that once you
have saved, the XML becomes colored and is easier to read.
- If there are any entry nodes, then remove them so that you only have an
empty entries node left.
- Edit the basic nodes <name>, <singlename> and <icon>.
You will find all possible icons in the icon folder of
- Edit the field nodes to your needs (That's why you need to read the XML
Format definition article).
- Save the file and copy it back into the PocketPasswords directory on your
PocketPC. Then start (or restart if running) PocketPasswords, it will
automatically read the new category and display it in the Treeview.
If you experience any error's. please contact me or come to our Forums.
I will help you where I can ;)