XML Format definition of PocketPasswords 2.0
Created on 2004-05-19 by Andre Lorbach.
PocketPasswords 2.0 introduces a new way of saving your password data.
It uses the common xml format with it's own format definition which is described
here. Each category has it's own XML File (located in the PocketPasswords
installation directory). These file contains the category definition and all
WARNING: Only view and edit these files if you know
what you are doing. Syntax error's and any other "damage" to this
files can cause PocketPasswords to malfunction.
In order to view or edit these files, you need to disable encryption first.
Once you have done this you will be able to read these xml files by your favorite
text editor. I recommend EditPlus
for editing the XML Files and Internet Explorer for viewing them. These XML Files are also saved with
(not ASCII), this is very important because PocketPasswords will only able to
read Unicode XML files.
In the following example (here the default xml file
for the Websites category), I will explain each node and it's meaning:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?>category>
- <category>: As you can see this is the primary node which
includes all other nodes. It can only exists once per XML
- <name>: This is the display name of the category used in the
- <singlename>: This is the name of the New menu entry which is
filled automatically with all available categories during startup.
- <icon>: This is the icon file which must be located in the
icon directory of PocketPasswords.
- <fields>: The node container for the definition of all
<field>: Contains all definitions as attributes and the
Field name as value.
length: The max allowed length for the field
type: Defines the Field type which can be one of the following:
- char: A simple textfield with one line.
- url: A textfield with an additional Button to open the content
of the textfield in Pocket Internet Explorer.
- pass: A password textfield which shows the password with *
characters. Additional it will include a Checkbox to show the
- number: A textfield which only allows you to enter numbers,
spaces and - characters.
- int: Same as number field, expect that spaces and - characters
- text: A multi-lined textbox (3 lines high) including a vertical
scrollbar meant for longer textfields.
Please note when you change fields, add or delete some and you already
have entries in that category. You will need to convert the data as well.
- <entries>: Node container for all entries of the category
<entry>: Contains all needed nodes for one category entry.
First two nodes are always name and description, the following are the
fields in the same order as defined.
- <name>: The name of the current entry
- <description> Contains the description of the current
- <value> Each value of the entry. The order has to be
exactly like in the fields definition (See the sample above).